Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The weather foiled my plans

The snow and bitter cold caused preschool to be cancelled. Normally, they cancel if the county school district cancels and/or has a delayed start. Neither of those happened yesterday but I think the preschool just had it in their heads that they would have a day off on Monday. So they called and cancelled preschool shortly after I sent my son off on his bus. That caused they to also cancel the preschool Christmas Program scheduled for the evening. That one I'm ok with because the roads were icy and I hate ice. Snow, whatever. Ice, ick.

BUT that ruined my entire Plan For The Day. I had to work from 10 - 2. I had it all worked out that my dad would pick up my DD from preschool at 1 when class was finished and bring her home until I got off work. Then I would bathe her and get her ready to go be an angel (ha ha! SUCH bad casting!!!) in her program. Then we would pick up take out for dinner and everyone would go to bed early. Well, that was not to be.
So her teacher happens to be a friend of mine and we've swapped watching each other's kids lots of times. She told me to just bring my DD over to her house while I worked. Yipee! She was happy to go play with her boys for a few hours. Then she and I had to go to the grocery store where I assume I lost one of my favorite earrings. Wahhhh!
I arrived home, put the few groceries away and got DD set up with cartoons while I went to go tackle the snow with the shovel and wait for DS's bus. I was hoping FG would have shoveled prior to leaving for work but no, he decided to just drive over it and leave some frozen tracks for me to chip away at. He literally arrived home 10 seconds after I put the shovel away. I think he was around the corner watching me.
My plan of take out was ruined. So FG suggests soup and grilled cheese. I had figured on that as an easy meal he could actually make the kids while I worked this week but no he was insistant and even DS told me he wanted soup. Purely to torture my family, I made homemade chicken noodle. The kids prefer the overly salted canned variety and I think FG had a big bowl of Chunky with beef in mind. But it was easy and quick and didn't have carrots (I don't like carrots in my chicken noodle and I have yet to find a canned variety that isn't Campbells that has no carrots!). Here's my loose recipe. It took about 30 minutes and paired great with ooey gooey grilled cheese and a big glass of chocolate milk.

Chicken Noodle Soup
4 cups stock
1 cup water
1 1/2 Tablespoons stock starter concentrate*
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 cup water
1 cup frozen corn kernels
1 1/2 cups shredded or cubed cooked chicken
small dry egg noodles (whatever amount you like)
Mix the cornstarch and 1/4 cup water in small dish and set aside.
Boil the stock, water and concentrate. Add cornstarch mixture and corn kernels. Return to boil.
Add chicken. Add noodles and cook just under boiling until noodles are done.
*Instead of bouillon I like to keep this stuff on hand. I use it a lot instead of canned broth. When I make white rice, I like to throw a teaspoon into the pan with the water, dissolve it and then add the rice. It gives things a nice flavor and I think it's pretty economical.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

W's school program was cancelled last night too. I was not at all disappointed. :) Don't you hate it when you're whole day gets messed up though?

Unknown said...

I hate it when you have your schedule just so and have to cancel it or move it around I am getting better at not being so stiff about it though, to make things even better, my car is in the shop and I am STUCK at home with not wheels......hmph!

DM said...

I love it when a plan comes together....ha ha. Ya right. A saying I hear often: We plan, God laughs.

It was nice to find your blog, stop by sometime. I'm just another bloggin' mom.