Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A clarification....

Regarding my post below (and thank you for the comments/advice so far! Keep em coming I really need some major help with this!)

FG has completely taken over the business as in his name is the only one on the business license, he has control over the bank account, pays the phone, rent, internet etc. for the office, buys the office equipment and supplies... all of it. His dad did that prior to handing the business over to him last January. FG had a separate business that was the same product, different city, as the original one. Since we are tied to real estate he saw the downfall coming and cancelled the other product in the other city knowing that his dad was ready to retire. They talked about it for a long time about how FG would just take over. Then FIL & his wife got that wild hair to start another one that was mainly out of the freaking country.

As for the whole communicate with FG, FIL and his wife. I'm on my own with this. FG wants nothing to do with it. He doesn't like controversy and tells me that I get to handle this one on my own. He doesn't want to even start a conversation about anything that isn't "necessary." So I'm on my own and my gut tells me to just tell FIL and his wife how it's going to be. You read how reasonable she was when I suggested a fair division. So I'm thinking that I just have to say, "They'll be coming to our house now and you can keep your time slot if you want it but you'll be paying for it. I'll call {insert client name} and let them know."

It literally bugs the crap out of her when FG & I have anything she thinks she should have. The woman went as far as to tell me all sorts of nasty stuff one day including that I should be thanking her for everything I have and for my house because FIL helped us out with some extra cash when we purchased our house. I laughed in her face and told her I owe her NOTHING of the sort because they weren't married when we bought our house and she would never get a thank you from me for my home! Like I said, I could go on & on about her. Bubba, I'll let you do the face punching. I would LOVE to see that!!!!

Thanks again everyone for reading my rambling. I am aware it is trivial and silly because it's just house cleaning. But dammit, I'm working hard and so is FG. I want us to reap the rewards because right now, they are very few and far between.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I just read through these two posts and I feel for you. Family dynamics can be brutal, and combined with business it can get downright ugly. Can you transfer the trade with the cleaning account to your FIL's business? Maybe it would work to tell them that you're cleaning up FG's business accounts. Having them move the trade account to FIL's business makes sense now that he's no longer going to be a figurehead at FG's business, and FG will be on his own. Then it's his/their responsibility. Then you could set up your own trade with FG's business for your house? I'm not sure any of that makes sense not knowing the situation any better, but I wish you the best of luck. Having been a small business owner myself I can say that there is nothing so good as a capable business attorney and accountant.

Anonymous said...

I just had another thought. Every business has a bottom line. Maybe if everyone who has or has had a stake in the business needs an expense account with "x" number of dollars. Frankly, I don't think the MIL deserves anything but like you I feel bad for the FIL who has to live with her and her slovenlyness. Even though it's a trade account it has a certain dollar value. Things sound pretty messy but if you can get things clarified into dollars and cents maybe that will help clarify how to deal with it. Try to keep it about business and not emotion. Your FIL probably has a clearer understanding of all of this than you think and if you talk to him in dollars he'll get it.
I'm probably not being very helpful but my heart goes out to you.

Unknown said...

I like what you have come up with, just tell them how it is and you become the B$%#@ if you have to, at least you'll get your house clean every other week! Send her over, I'll handle it!

Unknown said...

Ok, DUDE... WHY does that wench even think she's entitled to reap the benefits from YOUR business??? F-her and the stick that rammed up her butt. She needs to get a clue and quit being such a prima-donna.