Thursday, December 04, 2008

Holiday Baking #3 - Brittle

I started making this several years ago but I have never made it with peanuts. Instead I use roasted, unsalted macadamia nuts. My parents usually go to Hawaii every year around Thanksgiving so I have them bring me back a pound. This is a bit time consuming but it's worth it! Very yummy!

Nut Brittle
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup water
1 cup light corn syrup
3 tablespoons margarine or butter
1 pound (I use slightly less) shelled, unroasted peanuts (again, I use macadamia nuts)
Butter 2 cookie sheets 15 1/2x 12" (I use my jelly roll pan only). Keep warm in a 200 degree oven.
Mix baking soda, 1 teaspoon water and vanilla. Set aside.
Mix sugar, 1 cup water and the corn syrup in a 3-quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, to 240 degree on a candy thermometer. (This takes quite awhile. At least 1/2 hour or more)
Stir in margarine and nuts. Cook, stirring constantly to 300 degrees. Watch carefully so mixture does not burn. Immediately remove pan from heat and quickly stir in baking soda mixture until light and foamy.
Pour half the candy mixture onto each warm cookie sheet, quickly spread to about 1/4" thick. Cool. Break into pieces.
Just for kicks, here's a picture of me asleep on the couch with the cat. I've been working hard lately and am pretty darn tired by the time I get the kids to bed. It's hard not to drift off when you have a little motor running next to you.


No comments: