Monday, October 13, 2008

It's Monday, time for a menu!

It's slowly warming up but still pretty cold here for this time of year. The snow, eh, I'm just not ready for it! I don't like going from sleeping with the window open to sleeping all bundled up, heat running and long jammies on. I prefer the gradual change. But the past few years that certainly hasn't happened. We've just jumped right from one season to the next here.



That said, my meals have changed. Saturday night when it was so cool, FG requested soup & grilled cheese. Now this week I'm planning pretty much nothing on the grill because I don't mind having to run the oven - it keeps me toasty warm in the kitchen. Here's my menu for the week. Lately things have been fairly "Fly By The Seat Of Our Pants" with FG gone so much.



  • Sunday - Roasted Turkey, roasted acorn squash, garlic mashed potatoes, stuffing (in the bird), corn (for the kids & SMA because they won't eat squash), pumpkin cheesecake.

  • Monday - Enchiladas (with leftover turkey), rice, cabbage salad.

  • Tuesday - Leftover turkey dinner - meat, gravy, stuffing and I'll make a fresh veggie.

  • Wednesday - I'll make creamed turkey for myself and whatever the kids request for themselves - they have tried it and don't like it. FG is gone.

  • Thursday - FG gone again. The kids and I will have quesadillas w/ beans, veggies and fruit on the side.

  • Friday - Homemade sausage & pepperoni pizza

  • Saturday - out.

Right now I'm making the stock out of the turkey carcass. I am going to freeze it in small containers of 1 or 2 cups each. ***





It really wasn't bad to save the carcass. I just had the pot out with the neck in it when I cleaned and prepped the turkey. Then I stuck it in the refrigerator and pulled it back out when I was cleaning all the leftover meat after dinner. It was a 12 lb. turkey for 3 adults and 2 kids. I sent a bunch home with SMA and still have plenty to feed us for the rest of the week. Now I'll get a great stock from it as well. I bought the turkey last year and kept it in my big deep freezer. I think I paid around $4 or $5 for it when they are super cheap around Thanksgiving. Ok, I just paid that for a chicken the other day as well and the turkey will get us more meals than 1 chicken will! FG kept asking, "WHY are you making this big turkey for just us?" Then I explained the $$ side of it and he got it. How economical is that?! I get 4 dinners for us out of it (two for SMA with what I sent home), lunches for me by way of sandwiches then the stock to make a great soup or whatever I need stock for later! ***

That should make up for what I paid for pumpkins last week.

Sorry, DD never looks at the camera! And I got my hair done this weekend - whew!

***I got over 15 cups of yummy smelling and looking stock! I used six 2-cup plastic containers and put them in the freezer then I have one 1-cup jar and one 2-cup jar in the fridge. Whoohooo!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been getting menu ideas from you.