Thursday, October 30, 2008

EEK! Pressure!

We've been invited to a birthday party on Saturday night. It's a friend's 40th birthday tomorrow. They have little kids, they get it as far as the Halloween thing and so she is graciously pushing back her celebration one day so it's a good weekend for all.
I met the woman through our girls at preschool. We've gotten together for a few playdates but as far as I know, FG has never met her, her husband or really her kids except in brief passing at preschool. FG isn't the most socially outgoing person. He's fine but I am sure he would rather stay home than go to a party with people he doesn't know at a house belonging to people he's never met. While I don't know the family all that well, I like what I do know and am happy to be included in her celebration. So I worked on finding a sitter. Limited funds won't allow me to hire a sitter now and the grandparents aren't working out this weekend. Dang.
Then I get a phone call from the husband who says, "We'd really like to have you guys at the party. We've hired a sitter and I don't think it's a problem if you just bring your kids over with you. I know how it's tough to find someone sometimes so bring them with." Now really, HOW can I say "No thanks." to that?! FG will just have to suck it up and I already told him I know this isn't his first choice but I would really like to go.
So we're going. We'll bring along a bottle of wine. Then I hear my friend in the background after I asked her husband if there's anything we can bring. She says, "No, unless she wants to bake something."
Ahhhhh!!! You would think this is old hat for me. EVERYONE wants me to bake something. Every time. I'm always assigned DESSERT. The problem right now is I don't know what to make. I guess it's time to go through the old recipe lists and see what I can do. I'm already making an apple pie to take to dinner at FIL's house on Sunday. The best thing about Saturday is the fact if I have to bring dessert, I don't know anyone! So they've never had anything I have made. I can take ANYTHING! Yipee!!!!! When we get together with our regular groups of friends, they all expect different things. Hee hee hee. So I have pressure to make something good because my friend said, "I've had her baking and I won't pass it up." (She had the pumpkin chocolate cake here when she & her kids came over to make pizzas while our DH's were both out of town.) I have reduced pressure because there's nothing I can't bring. Well, except maybe the same pumpkin chocolate cake. Then I'll be labeled "The girl who makes the pumpkin chocolate cake."

My next problem.... WHEN am I going to figure out what to make? I'm totally slammed with kid stuff between now & then and I have plans to clean the carpets in part of the downstairs before the 2nd grade Halloween party today. I have to iron DD's dress, gather the stuff for the party, gather the stuff for the trick or treating event after the party, gather the stuff I need to take to my parent's house....... then of course tomorrow is Halloween and we have 3 different trick or treating events to go to with friends. The only thing keeping me going is the fact I will soon have boatloads of candy in this house. We are seriously low on chocolate and I don't function well without my daily dose.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carrot cake.

Unknown said...

I am really sick this week and glad to be able to use that excuse for whatever.........bring oreos!