Saturday, May 10, 2008

Garlic crust calzones

I made these the other night for the kids and I when FG was working. They were sooo yummy! I had two extra and wrapped them in foil to store them. I popped one in the toaster oven on about 350 for 20 minutes to warm up for DS to take in his lunch. I knew it wouldn't stay warm all day but it would be better than icy cold from the fridge. I personally love cold pizza but my kids have not inherited that from me, at least not yet, we'll see when they get to college.

Basic Garlic Thin Crust Dough
from The Best Pizza is made at home cookbook by Donna Rathmell German
1 tsp. active dry yeast
2 cups bread flour
1/4 tsp. salt
2-3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 Tbs. olive oil
2/3 cup lukewarm water
mix in bread machine on dough setting.
I make pizza often for my kids. They love it, I like that I make it all from scratch so I know what's in it and it's a fairly balanced meal for them when I add a glass of milk and some fruit. But this week I wanted to do something different so I told them I was going to make Pizza Pockets. Much easier for them to understand than calling them Calzones.
General Directions for Calzones
Roll or stretch dough into four or five 6" circles.
Place 2-4 tablespoons of filling (I used parm cheese, moz cheese, pepperoni, pizza sauce) on half of the circle, leaving 1/2" space around the side. Do not overfill.
Moisten the edges of the circle with water or egg white.
Fold the dough over the side to encase the filling. Seal the edges with fingers or the tines of a fork.
Brush each calzone lightly with beaten egg, olive oil or cold water. (I chose a beaten egg with about 1/2 tsp. of cold water added to it. Then I sprinkled the tops with grated Parmesan cheese.)
Bake in preheated 450 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes. Keep an eye on them. I baked mine on my PC stoneware bar pan that I had preheated in the oven.
I let them cool for about 15 minutes and then the kids were able to pick them up and eat them. They looked and smelled heavenly! They were all perfectly puffed up and golden brown and the smell of the garlic crust was terrific! FG was leaving for work and I think he was a bit jealous that we were eating them and he wasn't. Well, PHHHHHHTTTTT on him because he gets to go OUT to eat every Thursday after work while I'm stuck at home cleaning up my cooking mess!

No comments: