That's a line (at least as I remember it) from a book I used to read to DS called Dawdle Duckling. It's how I feel right now and I know I'm not alone. I know at this time of year most people are feeling some sort of pressure. Even my friends with younger children or children in year-round school feel an urgency right now. The changing of the season certainly makes me feel like I need to eek out the best of summer while I can. Yet, I also feel a sense of urgency to get us into our comfortable routine to settle down into the cold months. It becomes quite the dilemma in my little brain! So while today I am going to clean some of the house and get a Costco trip taken care of to replenish the freezer, I am also going to take DD to a new park with some friends and pick up DS after school and head to my parents house to swim. Then of course, it's home for dinner and finishing up the homework folder to be turned in tomorrow.
I'm itching to cook and bake. I'm itching to make a big batch of soup and some yummy fresh bread. But I also realize that it's 90 degrees outside and I will be really bummed come January when I want to cook something on the grill and it's covered with snow. So for now, the soup will wait, the grill will stay fired up and we'll enjoy the last few lazy days of summer while trying to ease us all into the routines of school and Fall.
I do have one fun thing to look forward to! We're going to our favorite winery this weekend (sans children!) and stocking up on some yummy Syrah. Ohhhh I can't wait. I'm actually forgoing a football game for that. If you know me, you know it usually takes a lot for me to say No to a football game!
How are you feeling about the change in season right now? Do you get like I do and get anxious for the next step but then get agitated toward the end of the cold months and long for summer?
Thursday, September 04, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
This is the time of year when I am at my wits end with all things vacation. I am a cool weather, efficiency-minded, pragmatist. I get annoyed after a while with all the lounging about and just want everyone to go back to school and work. Bad attitude, huh? Maybe my brain is just fried from all the heat....
I am feeling conflicted. Its HOT still, mid 90's. I want fall but here that means low 70's, you can excercise outdoors and sleep with the windows open. We have a slow graceful strech to winter when it gets ugly and bitter. I like some of the ugly, the gray sky and the crisp air. I hate the negative temps. But, Im ready for the 90's to take a hike, that much is for sure!
Have fun at the pool tonight!
I'm ready for all the fall cooking as well! Isn't it funny how the changing of the weather affects the way we feel and the things we do so much?
It's funny how we all do that, we want what we don't have and complain that it is too hot, too cold, too rainy, too much snow, etc. Human Nature I guess, I can't wait for soup myself, make a chilled summer soup, they are different but often quite good.
Post a Comment