I have taken on the total 50's housewife roll of making a warm breakfast for FG about once a week. He's been really bad about not eating lunch. He's not one that needs to lose weight (tone up, sure, just about all of us need that but actually lose pounds of fat? nope) so I get annoyed with him when he eats something for breakfast and then doesn't eat until dinner. His breakfasts usually consist of a bagel or a couple of pop tarts or one of those frozen breakfast sandwich things... that sort of stuff. And always a Red Bull. Just the small ones but he's a big ol' crab if he doesn't get his Bull in the morning (because he gets a raging headache from his caffine withdrawl!). We aren't coffee drinkers and I feel "off" if I don't get my cup of tea in the morning as well so I get it. Knowing he's not eating much before dinner, I am trying to make sure he gets a decent amount of food in the morning and once in awhile I'll drop something off at the office for him to find.
Anyway, the kids are fairly easy breakfast kids. They don't care for eggs often so they eat things like frozen french toast sticks, frozen mini-pancakes, my homemade frozen buttermilk waffles and they always get turkey sausage links and juice with those. Or they somehow inhale boxes of cereal. I cannot believe how two bites of a non-favorite dinner will fill them up but 2 LARGE bowls of cereal leave them asking for more but have no more time to eat it! I let them have sugar-y cereal but it's always mixed with stuff that has 3g of sugar or less per serving. We're all happy that way.
Back to the breakfasts for FG. Last week I made him a breakfast burrito. That is simple, chopped bacon in a skillet, fry that up until almost done & drain of 95% of the grease. Throw some scrambled eggs on top of it to cook and dump all of that into a tortilla and sprinkle with cheese. I don't get into the peppers or potatoes or any of that fancy stuff. I could, it would be excellent, but that would cut into my 10 minute cooking time start to finish.
Today I made essentially the same thing. I cooked up a bunch of bacon so the kids could have some as well. I made an omlette of one scrambled egg in a small pan. I toasted one english muffin. I folded up the egg, put it on the muffin, added a slice of cheese and 1 1/2 slices of cooked bacon. Done. FG had a warm breakfast.
It smelled and looked so good I had to make myself one. I looked at it and thought "I should take a picture so I can share this." Then I took a bite because I could NOT WAIT. I thought, "I really should take a picture." Then the next thing I knew, it was gone. So sorry, no pictures. But we've all been to McDonald's and had an egg mcmuffin and we all know what those look like. Mine didn't. It wasn't that perfect. But it tasted damn good!
DD has a cold. She's acting fine but is stuffy-nosed. We'll skip gymnastics today I think. Of course, one week into preschool and she comes home with a little bug. My exciting plans for the day? Laundry, cleaning bathrooms, mopping, dusting, cleaning out the fridge. Whoohoo! BTW, this week's meals are already all messed up. We did have ribs last night but I made yummy parmesean cous cous and salad. Tonight has been switched from lasagna to leftovers because it's still nearly 90 degrees and I don't want to run the oven or be over a hot stove that long. Tomorrow is still Hot Beef sandwiches and after that, who knows if we'll stick to the plan!
B-O-R-I-N-G. Aren't you glad you stopped by here today?

4 comments:
That's funny. Cole is one week into preschool and came home with a bug as well. He's had a low grade fever all yesterday and today. Needless to say, he didn't go to class today.
Hope she feels better soon!
Ugh! Already coming home sick...I'm dreading that. Me and the kids haven't been sick since we began homeschooling over a year ago! But, now that Cindy-Lu is in pre-school I'm sure we'll all get the plague!
Love the Egg McMuffin at home idea! I'll hafta try that!
Sounds familiar. I totally don't get how my four year old can take three bites of dinner and be fine, yet inhale a breakfast of champions and be hungry 30 minutes later. Drives me insane.
I've spoiled my husband by making him hot breakfasts since pretty much the beginning of our relationship. So much so, that sometimes he says that he simply craves a bowl of cereal. Fine by me! Crazy. And I'm a HUGE fan of the breakfast burrito. I could eat them for every meal.
I once read something that most kids eat 75% of their calories by noon, so don't sweat the lack of dinner thing. Of course, I'll agree with any magazine article that tells me I'm not screwing up my kids!
Post a Comment