Monday, September 29, 2008

Menu Plan Monday/Caramel Corn Recipe


FWEW! What a weekend. You can read about the neighborhood escapades here. The rest of the weekend was pretty low key - birthday party for DS's classmate, SMA came to dinner. I played lots of games with the kids, found my ahem, ancient, Lego set from when I was a kid and gave it to DS. That's all he did all weekend was play with Legos. I had written my name on the box so he wrote his name next to mine. It was pretty cute. Then he told me I was "damaging his youth" because I had my headphones on and couldn't hear what he was saying. So I was damaging his youth by "ignoring him". I informed him I was simply trying to silence the "little voices in my head." Tell it to your therapist in 20 years, ok kid? DD was particularly clingy this weekend, which is unusual for her.
FG has to take off for work and he will be gone most evenings before he goes. Happy Happy Joy Joy. not.
  • Sunday - Lasagna w/ sausage, salad, fresh bread, caramel corn* and rice krispie treats for dessert.
  • Monday - Stuffed chicken breasts, roasted rosemary red potatoes, grilled eggplant with parmesean cheese
  • Tuesday - French Bread Pizzas for the kids, Sweet & Sour pork stir fry for me and maybe some for FG if he doesn't eat at his meeting. Otherwise - leftovers for me!
  • Wednesday - Shrimp & pasta w/ veggies
  • Thursday - Soup & grilled cheese
  • Friday - Spaghetti & bread
  • Saturday - Make Your Own Pizza Night w/ some kid friends over to play.
  • Sunday - Mom & Dad's for dinner. :)

The Caramel Corn is so yummy and really easy to make. I made it last year for DS's class Holiday party and the teachers are the ones who didn't want to share it. I almost bought a box of Crunch & Munch the other day and thought, nope, I can make caramel corn pretty easily! Then I know exactly what's in it and how long it's been sitting there too.

Caramel Corn

10-12 cups popped popcorn (not microwave)

1 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 cup margarine or butter

1/4 cup light corn syrup

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Heat oven to 200 degrees. Divide popcorn between 2 ungreased rectangular pans (I use my large turkey roasting pan and do it all in one).

Heat brown sugar, margarine, corn syrup and salt in 3 quart saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until bubbly around edges. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, remove from heat. Stir in baking soda. Pour over popcorn; stir until well coated. Bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.

You can add nuts to the pan of popcorn before pouring the liquid on top. Store in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks (if it lasts that long).

1 comment:

Little Towhee said...

I'm going to snag that recipe from you! My kids will love it! Thanks!

Emily