Sunday, March 02, 2008



Yay! This week I tried something new. I wanted to see how much I actually spend per week on food. So I went to the stores I normally go to (Trader Joe's and a local cheap-o, bag-it-yourself place that has an AMAZING bulk foods section). Then I looked at the ads that come in the mail and looked at the two stores I sometimes go to for meat specials or fresh fruits and veggies. I found that one of them had shrimp on sale and wanted to make a certain recipe so I got some of that. They also have a great produce section and I got a few things that were on sale there. Combined with my other two grocery store trips I spend $102. That actually may last me closer to two weeks. Of course, I'll have to go back for milk and some fresh veggies and fruits but that won't be anywhere in the same time zone as $102. We are having several people over on this Sunday and next Sunday too. So here's this week's menu:

  • Sunday - Penne a la Betsy from the Pioneer Woman Cooks site, roasted asparagus, tossed salad, sweet French bread from the bread machine, avocado salsa. We have several little kids that will get mac & cheese, baked chicken nuggets and green beans for dinner. None of which are from scratch. For dessert I'm making brownies for FG and the kids and lemon meringue pie.
  • Monday - Baked Chicken pieces, Parmesan cous cous, steamed cauliflower
  • Tuesday - Beef fajitas, tossed salad
  • Wednesday - Chicken Spaghetti also from The Pioneer Woman Cooks site (I will make 1/2 the recipe for us and freeze the other 1/2 for later), steamed broccoli
  • Thursday - FG works but the kids like Parmesan Crusted fish fillets, buttered noodles and a veggie
  • Friday - Take Out!
  • Saturday - leftovers or possibly grilled steak for FG and I, burgers for the kids (all of which are in the freezer waiting to warm up like the rest of us)
  • Sunday - family over to dinner and I am hoping to find a good tri-tip or london broil, roasted sweet potato wedges, tossed salad, steamed veggies and whatever yummy dessert I feel like making that weekend!

Recipes:

* Exported from MasterCook *
Lemon Meringue Pie

1 9" pastry shell -- baked

1 2/3 cups sugar

6 tablespoons cornstarch

1/2 cup Lemon Juice

4 eggs -- separated

1 1/2 cups boiling water

2 tablespoons margarine or butter

1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In heavy saucepan, combine 1 1/3 cups sugar and cornstarch. Add lemon juice. In small bowl, beat egg yolks. Add to lemon mixture. Gradually add water, stirring constantly. Over medium heat, cook and stir until mixture boils and thickens (about 8 to 10 minutes). Remove from heat. Add margarine, stir until melted. Pour into prepared pastry shell.In small mixer bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar to soft peaks, gradually add remaining 1/3 cup sugar, beating until stiff but not dry. Spread on top of pie, sealing carefully to edge of shell.Bake 12 - 15 minutes or until golden. Cool, chill before serving.

* Exported from MasterCook *
Avocado Salsa
2 medium avocado

2 medium Roma tomato

1/4 red onion

2 tablespoons cilantro -- chopped

1 lime

2 cloves garlic

salt to taste

Peel and seed avocado, cut into chunks.Chop tomato into similar size chunks.Finely chop red onion.Chop fresh cilantro.Juice the lime.Press garlic through garlic press.Add salt to taste.
Mix all ingredients in med. size bowl and let rest for 1/2 hour.
Serve with tortilla chips.

* Exported from MasterCook *
Parmesan Couscous
1 can chicken broth

3/4 cup couscous

2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Bring chicken broth to a boil in a saucepan; stir in couscous. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Stir in cheese and parsley.

* Exported from MasterCook *
Broiled Tilapia Parmesan
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese

1/4 cup butter -- softened

3 tablespoons mayonnaise

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1/4 teaspoon dried basil

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/8 teaspoon onion powder

1/8 teaspoon celery salt

2 pounds tilapia fillets
1. Preheat your oven's broiler. Grease a broiling pan or line pan with aluminum foil.2. In a small bowl, mix together the Parmesan cheese, butter, mayonnaise and lemon juice. Season with dried basil, pepper, onion powder and celery salt. Mix well and set aside.3. Arrange fillets in a single layer on the prepared pan. Broil a few inches from the heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the fillets over and broil for a couple more minutes. Remove the fillets from the oven and cover them with the Parmesan cheese mixture on the top side. Broil for 2 more minutes or until the topping is browned and fish flakes easily with a fork. Be careful not to over cook the fish.

No comments: