As it usually does, my good intentions of planned out meals changed this week. Last night the kids ate leftover spaghetti and bread. They love it, it's good for them so everyone was fine with that. I have been chilled to the bone lately and very tired. I figured out this morning that I must be on the verge of a cold. So on my every 3-4 day trip to Trader Joe's for milk I picked up some generic form of Airborne. That stuff generally helps me knock out a cold fairly quickly and I hope that helps this time! I used to use the Zicam spray (still do on the kids) but then I realized that I would feel sick to my stomach right after using it. Well that's not good on top of feeling icky from a cold anyway! So I changed to the Airborne and had good luck. The cheaper version (with the same ingredients except more Vitamin A) tastes like Tang.
Last night I intended to make my yummy creamed turkey (Turkey a la King pretty much) but after two exciting games of Candy Land with DD, I was wiped and needed a nap. Believe me, I stifled the yawns through the game - she was thrilled beyond belief and beat me fair & square. I kept having to go ALL THE FREAKING WAY BACK to the candy cane. grrrrr. I just wanted the game done. My dear sweet daughter (amazing how tonsils can make them into a devil child, take the tonsils away and she's sweet again!) covered me up with a stack of FG's freshly folded golf towels and I promptly fell asleep. She even covered my ear and tucked the towel under my chin. How could I NOT sleep???
So FG got off his lazy ass, I mean, took the bull by the horns and got them their spaghetti while I snoozed. By the time I got up, it was time for him to leave for work and I wasn't feeling up to making the white sauce or baking the biscuts. I nuked a frozen dinner and went about my business.
So today is freezing. I'm not "feeling" a pizza at all. I started a yummy pot of broccoli cheese soup in the crock pot. It's a recipe orginally from The Fix it and Forget it Entertaining cookbook but of course I tweak everything. I did follow the recipe the first time I made it but decied it needed something and added bacon the next time. So now I saute the chopped bacon with the onions and potatoes. It's perfect for a freezing, grey day like today!
* Exported from MasterCook *
Broccoli, Potato and Cheese Soup
Recipe By :Fix-It and Forget-It Recipes for Entertaining (Slow Cooker)
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 cups potato -- cubed
3 tablespoons onion -- chopped
10 ounces broccoli florets -- thawed
2 tablespoons butter or margarine -- melted
1 tablespoon flour
2 cups processed American cheese -- velveeta, cubed
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups milk
1 can evaporated milk
Cook potatoes and onion in boiling water (or broth) in saucepan until potatoes are crisp-tender.
Drain. Place in slow cooker.
Add remaining ingredients. Stir together.
Cover. Cook on low 4 hours. Stir occasionally.
Friday, November 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment