Monday, January 16, 2012

It's about time for a menu plan!

It's been TOO long since I've written down a menu and stuck to it!  I'll make an attempt here today....


Sunday - Baked ziti, french bread, salad.
Monday - Ham and Scalloped potatoes, veggies (different ones for everyone - why can't we all like the same veggies?!), fruit.
Tuesday - beef roast in the crock pot, garlic mashed potatoes, veggies, fresh bread.
Wednesday - I think I'll try pork chops with caramelized onions and apples, pasta, salad
Thursday - Chinese Take Out Lemon Chicken, rice, fruit
Friday - Tacos, salad, fruit

Now yesterday I tried this Fabulous French Bread recipe.  As you know, I use my bread machine a lot to do all the work. This one didn't sound too difficult and I really wanted to try it.  The flavor was great.  HOWEVER, if you try it, do NOT make the same dumb mistake I made and put the yeast into the boiling water instead of the warm water.  I guess I read the recipe too fast and completely missed the whole warm water line.  Despite my instincts of knowing that the yeast will die a quick death in boiling water, I did it anyway.  So I had dense little loaves.  Like I said, the flavor of the bread was great but they were flat and dense.  You can bet your sweet petunia I am making it again today!  Flour is cheap in the grand scheme of things.  I buy my yeast at Costco (just opened a fresh brick and I've used some from it prior to yesterday so I know it's not my yeast) and that's pennies.  So I'm trying it again and I will not make the same mistake twice.  Dammit. I know better!  I know how to "finger test" the water for the yeast like my grandma taught me.  Stupid, stupid mistake!  If it works, I may change out a recipe this week to french bread pizzas.  I haven't made those in a long time.  I've also been hungry for Lemon Chicken.  Haven't made that in forever either.  I guess maybe I should go back through all my old menu plans and revisit some recipes! 

I'll let you know how the bread turns out this time.  I'm hoping to find a winner.  It wasn't difficult to mix up since I let my mixer do the work.  Believe it or not, it was the first time in 11 years I've used the dough hook!  With my bread machine, I just never have had the need.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have been wanting to do Monday Menu's again for some time now, you started me on it....I just need to do it! Thanks! ps I wish I know how to make bread outside of a bread machine!

A Mom Anonymous said...

UPDATE!!! I made the french bread again and it turned out perfectly! Lisa, TRY this one. It's inexpensive because the ingredients aren't much. It made three large loaves since I didn't murder the yeast this time. I used grandma's finger test, knew the water from the tap was too hot so I measured it and let it sit for a minute. Then finger test again and it was the right temp and my yeast definitely worked. It's cooling now - can't wait to eat it!