Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Family Logistics are never ending

So um, yeah, that menu plan?  Um, uh, forget it.  As per the norm in this house things changed.

FG now has to go out of town to, get this, a hunting/firearms/law enforcement trade show.  Yeah, you can stop laughing now.  Along with learning all about fishing this year, he's now learning about waterfowl hunting.  Thank God the only thing he shoots with is his camera.

I also forgot that poor DS is getting his Herbst Appliance (also known as Mars Bars) on Thursday morning.  He's had spacers in the past 2 weeks and he's off the gum and anything sticky.  Today was like a junkie getting his last fix before heading off to rehab.  The tech told him last week that he could have a "gum & soda party" the day before his installation.  So after school he ate gummy bears and had some soda (a rare treat as it is) and can chew all the gum he wants.  Literally, the junkie getting his last fix.  For a kid with SPD, gum chewing will calm him down a lot of times.  The oral sensation feeds the sensory craving he often needs to calm down and get his homework done.  He also has a family trait that I'm hoping will now go away. He chews on his tongue.  Just like his father and his paternal grandmother.  They all sit there and look like damn cows chewing and it's ugly and annoying.  Well after getting those wonderful hinges in his mouth, he won't be able to move his jaw sideways so he won't be able to chew his tongue!  That's a habit I hope to see broken in the 18 months he'll have his Mars Bars on. 

As you can imagine, he won't feel so hot after getting those on.  So he's not going to be eating much.  Since FG will be gone, I'm not cooking a full on meal for only DD and I to eat!  Especially when it's something that she's not that wild about.  So we'll have some soup and a milkshake for dinner. The skinny boy will hopefully adjust quickly so he doesn't lose weight! I'm going to stuff him with mashed potatoes, oatmeal, applesauce and ice cream. It's reminiscent of the tonsillectomy.

Anyway, because of all of these changes DD is spending the night at her friend's house Wednesday. Her wonderful best friend's family offered to take her for the night. I asked if I could drop her off early Thursday morning and they suggested she just spend the night so I didn't have to get her up super early on top of all the other running around I have to do.
I forgot I'm playing Bunco on Friday night and we always have dinner there.  So um, yeah, another night the plan changes.  I also forgot while I was making my plan that DS has Debate Club on Tuesday nights. He got out really late and it pushed dinner really late.  I wasn't going to start cooking at 6:45.  The plan of a beef roast in the crockpot just fell through completely and I planned to switch the pork chops around but not at 6:45. 

Tonight is on track.  We ARE eating the pork chops and some rosemary & garlic roasted potatoes.  We'll be eating LOTS of potatoes.  I order organic fruit & veggies weekly to bi-weekly and they are delivered on Wednesdays.  In my last order, my red potatoes went rotten really fast so they replaced them for me this week.  I also had some russets and some golden potatoes in my order.  PLUS I had some yams left from my previous order too.  I'll be searching for good potato recipes.  DS's favorite is always potato pancakes and I like that because I do about 1/2 shredded zucchini and 1/2 potatoes. 

So at least I made an attempt to make a good menu plan for the week.  Maybe I'll have better luck next week.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Reason #42 Why I haven't had time for Monday Menu planning...LIFE IS SO CRAZY BUSY NOW! It's 12.30 am and I am just now getting to sit down......and it only gets busier...Good luck! At least you can eat Friday!!