Tuesday, September 29, 2009

PSA - Dryer vents!

Yesterday I knew our weather was going to be be drastically different starting today. So I did all the laundry and hung it on the clotheslines. I cleaned up the backyard toys that DD had scattered everywhere. I repotted an indoor plant so I didn't have to do it in the wind today. Most importantly, I had FG drag out the shop vac and take off the outside cover to the dryer vent. We did this last year as well and it was the first time we had done it since building this house. I was shocked last year when he sucked out an insane amount of lint. I figured, eh, 8 years worth of build up so it couldn't be too bad now.

HA! As he threaded the long hose into the vent, I lightly held onto it so I could feel when something was going through it. Again, scary amount of lint globs were being sucked out of the vent!

We had to buy a new dryer last year. I clean out the lint trap every load. I regularly take the indoor vacuum and stick the hose down the vent/lint trap of the dryer itself. A couple of times a year I pull the dryer out from the wall and clean out the vent in the back as well as the hose and the vent hole in the wall. It shouldn't surprise me but it does. I just can't believe that there was so much lint in the vent!

So a little PSA for you, before your weather gets nasty, take whatever vacuum you can and go stick the hose in the outside vent of your dryer. Your energy bill will thank you for it. (As well as your home since it can be a fire hazard - just ask my aunt who had hers catch on fire. Thank goodness she was home! Thus, I also never run my dryer when I'm not home!)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We know someone whose house burned down due to the dryer vent catching fire. It's a very serious danger that a lot of people ignore. Thanks for the reminder!

Unknown said...

scary thing is, most people don't realize they need to do this!