Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Two for the price of one!

Well Happy Fall! It's still hot here. Actually, it's beautiful and perfect! It's warm yet not too warm that I need to turn on the A/C. It's not cool enough that we need to run the heat. It's warm enough for shorts but not so hot that I can't use my oven. It's simply divine!

My kitchen is finished. I haven't shared pictures because it's messy. I've been using and enjoying it. I absolutely adore my granite counters! They are lovely and smooth and oh, just wonderful! This weekend I baked banana bread (DD's request) and chocolate chip cookies (FG's request). Yesterday I sat down and planned out meals - Yay! I haven't done that in a long long time. I went through bookmarks on the computer, coupons, my recipe books etc. I made a grocery list and shopped ALONE after I dropped DD off at Kindergarten. Ahhhhh.

So here are two weeks worth of meals. I'll share some recipes now or maybe save them for another post. FG kept saying how good dinner was last night. I think he's happy that I'm cooking again and we are done with fast food/take out except for occasionally.

  • Monday - Roasted whole chicken, scalloped potatoes, steamed cauliflower
  • Tuesday - Chicken enchiladas, rice, tossed green salad.
  • Wednesday - I work in the evening. The kids and FG will have hot dogs & chips & green beans.
  • Thursday - FG works. Not sure what I'll make for the kids and I.
  • Friday - Beef Chow Mein (I discovered with our take out weeks that DS loves this! He even took it in his lunch one day and ate his whole thermos full! I bought oyster sauce and sesame oil yesterday to recreate it along with a bunch of veggies. Mmmm!)
  • Saturday - Bacon wrapped stuffed chicken breasts, baked beans, cabbage slaw salad (can you say Gas-X for dessert?).
  • Sunday - Pulled pork sandwiches, potato pancakes, tossed green salad, peach pie.

Next week:

  • Monday - Baked macaroni & cheese (still searching for a recipe. I've never made it!), salad/veggies.
  • Tuesday - Chicken picatta, parmsean cous cous, veggies
  • Wednesday - again, I work ??
  • Thursday - again, FG works ??
  • Friday - Sweet & sour pork over rice
  • Saturday - football game so it will probably be take out or fast food
  • Sunday - Baked ziti w/ sausage, tossed green salad, homemade bread, cookies.

I'm so happy to cook again! I am trying to be better about keeping a list of new recipes I want to try so I don't get in a rut. I also want to try to make more of my own soups this fall/winter. Right now it's too warm to think about that though. Soon enough, I'm sure!

2 comments:

Kim said...

Ok..this post is not fair without pictures! I want to drool over your new countertops too. Glad you're enjoying them! I'll be over on Sunday for a pulled pork sammie!

Unknown said...

I agree... you need to post pics of the new countertops! I don't mind messy countertops. ;-) Your menu sounds delicious! I think PW has a baked macaroni & Cheese recipe (but it's likely full of butter, cream and really fattening cheese).