Thursday, May 14, 2009

Whirlwind


Yesterday was CRAZY.
My MIL got both honored for her work in the morning and, as she put it, fired in the afternoon yesterday.
She was honored by the Historical Resources Commission of our city and presented a plaque at the City Council meeting yesterday morning. Then the commission had a luncheon.
In the afternoon she recieved her Emeritus status from the University where she worked for 40 years. Then she threw a party.
I'm dang tired. I went to all of the events.
As many differences as she and I have had over the past 17 years (HOLY SHIT when did that happen?!) she is my husband's mother and my children's grandmother. She has mellowed out a LOT in those years too. I think a divorce and different life has changed her perspective on how things should be. The fact she's been dating but not married to a man for the past 8 1/2 years is a good example. Their relationship really works just the way it is and I think 17 years ago, she wouldn't have thought that to be possible. They don't live together but they act as though they are married most of the time. It's good for everyone.
Anyway, it was a crazy crazy day of events and ceremonies yesterday. She has worked really really hard on many wonderful projects. Now I suspect it will continue for her but on a freelance basis. She's pretty valuable to the geological and mining world. Now that she's been honored as a "historic resource". hee hee hee.
So I need to see if I can pick my ass up off this chair and get some laundry done! The week isn't about to slow down for me either. Birthday party for one of DD's classmates today and we're helping a fellow mom and taking her friend with us (she has 4 little girls, one of whom is about 6 weeks old - she's a bit too busy to drive across town in the afternoon for her daughter to attend a birthday party for 2 hours during nap time for the two youngest girls). Tomorrow morning is a breakfast that the school teachers put on for those of us who volunteer. It's always a nice event. It's also a 1/2 day of school. Then in the evening we're going to a friends house for dinner to celebrate his birthday. Saturday FG has a golf tournament and then he may take DS and go on a quick little day trip involving cars. Sunday is supposed to be HOT so we may take the boat out for a spin for the first time since last fall. As long as I can sleep in on Saturday and find time to get the laundry done, the house cleaned up and cook some decent meals I'll feel like I've accomplished something. Thank goodness it's my Saturday off!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So, MIL wasn't actually fired? Did she retire? Either way, congrats to her. It sounds like she's worked really hard to get where she is. :) Considering how much you do, imagine if you had never left your job when Ashton was born!! Can you even possibly imagine what your life would be like??