Rhubarb Muffins
1 1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup oil
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup chopped nutmeats (I used almonds that I slightly toasted)
1 1/2 cups fresh rhubarb, finely diced
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. melted butter
1 tsp. cinnamon
Combine brown sugar, oil, egg, vanilla and buttermilk. Beat well. Stir in rhubarb and nuts.
Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder and add to wet mixture.
Stir until combined.
Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.
Combine melted butter, sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle on top of muffin mixture in cups.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 15-18 minutes.
Ok, that's just how I made them the first time. They were yummy! Even DD liked them though she picked out the nuts. I got some more rhubarb from my mom's yard and made them again the other day. This time I omitted the nuts for her and I added 1/2 whole wheat flour. I didn't mix the melted butter/sugar but instead just sprinkled the tops with cinnamon & sugar from the shaker I keep mixed up in the cabinet. Eh. Not so great. The butter really enhances the top and the wheat flour just wasn't as pleasant as the regular flour. DD took one bite and said, "Um Mom. Maybe I don't like these anymore." argh. Truth be told, I don't like them much like that either. I hate it when I waste ingredients!
Then I had to take a picture if for no other reason but to remind myself why I use muffin pan liners.
Now I'm off to see if the local restaurant supply store has a website. FG told me that starting next week they are having a 50% off sale - the only one of the year. He started off by saying, "You probably don't really need anything...." HA! I rattled off a list of things that I want. No, don't necessarily need but sure do want! I always compare my baking/cooking to his golf. Sure he could play with just a few pieces of equipment but it sure does make it easier and a more enjoyable hobby to have some extra stuff. He could get it done with a few clubs but having that range finder is awfully handy sometimes. It usually gets the point across.

No comments:
Post a Comment