
A big shocker to me when I became a SAHM was my lack of freedom. Sure, I was excited to be home with my new baby but then I realized something. "Hmm, I'd really like to go get these bushes on my forehead tamed down. Wait, the salon has a "No children" policy? WHAT?! How am I going to go do THAT now?" uh, yeah. FG could come and go as he pleased, I was continually stuck with an appendage! He took a bottle fine though I was nursing him. So it really wasn't a big deal for me to be away from him but I couldn't just leave him home alone while I went for my eyebrow wax either. We didn't have sitters yet and all the grandparents worked. So I was stuck and I wasn't happy about this new lack of freedom.
FG and I had both been employed professionals with busy schedules. Being into gadgets we both had Palm Pilots as well. Just because I now stayed home and FG was self employed didn't mean we gave them up. I now just scheduled doctors appointments and various kid-related activities in mine, he still used his for his work schedule. And he also synced it on the home computer.
AH HA! Lightbulb moment! I had access to his schedule at all times. I could schedule my own things and then when he synced his Palm each evening, whatever I put on his schedule would show up for him. I remember being giddy when I first scheduled "watch the baby" on an empty afternoon in his schedule and promptly booking an eyebrow wax!
It has worked for us for years now. When I plan meals, I look at his schedule to see if he has any evening meetings or anything planned that will keep him from his normal schedule of being home for dinner. If I need to book something I check his schedule while I'm on the phone with my hairdresser (friend, etc.) and immediately type it into his schedule. Of course, since he's male, I also let him know that I've done such a thing because he would surely miss it being there otherwise. But then he can't say he "forgot" when it comes to the day of said appointment for me. It takes some discipline and give and take on both of our parts. I do credit this system with saving us from many fights and keeping us both sane partners in this parenting thing.
If you are having a similar issue with scheduling, then I suggest you figure out a system that works a little better. Whether it's old fashioned hand written calendars or an electronic organizer (my personal choice because it's so EASY!), communication is key to a good balance.

1 comment:
You are a smart smart woman, I wish that worked for me and Jay, I will try to work on that again, he has now moved up to the Blackberry Pearl which has a calendar feature but I love my Treo.....thanks for the reminder! I am going to "sync" our schedules together right now.
Post a Comment