Monday, January 07, 2008

Siblings

Last night I heard something that melted my heart. I absolutely love to listen to my children interact without knowing that anyone is listening. It's so, oh, what's the word, un-self-consious and natural and honest.

We had a house-full of family and everyone was finishing eating dinner. The children were finished and playing their usual rough-housing way while I cleaned up the dishes. The rest of the family were still sitting in the dining room. DS did something that hurt DD. And she's a great actress who generally milks it for all it's worth. DS says to DD, "I'm sorry, it was an accident!" which is what I generally overhear and is code for "Don't go running to mom!" She didn't and they resumed playing.
A bit later they came into the kitchen and I was getting DD some more milk to go with her chocolate cupcake. They seemed a bit oblivious to the fact I was there and DD says, "Happy Birthday Brudder! I love you!" and gives him a big genuine hug. He said back, "Thanks! And I didn't mean to hurt you a little bit ago. We were too rough and I'm sorry that you got hurt." DD replies, "Dat's ok. It was an accident." and they gave each other another big hug. The genuineness in their voices was perfect. They weren't acting for my benefit at all.

It was just so touching to me. It's them against the world and they seem to know it. They are each other's best friends even though they bicker and wrestle and fight over who's first. It kind of struck me that I'll always be Mom and I'll always be important but I have a feeling they will lean on each other as they grow more than they lean on me. I hope they always stay the best of friends!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is soooo sweet. It's pretty obvious that you've set a very good example, and you should be proud of yourself, too. Happy Birthday little buddy!