Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Steppin' up!

I had a little (teary) chat with FG about the kids.  I was open and honest about what I saw and where I saw things going and how much it hurt me.  I think sometimes we as parents get into a rut with our kids.  We get used to things being a certain way and whether or not it's good, we don't even realize what is going on.  So I told him and he listened and I think it hurt.  I didn't want to hurt him but sometimes we have to hurt to get better.  I know I'm not #1 Mother of the Year by any means.  I know.  I hear myself saying things and I don't like it. So I try to stop, breathe and change my attitude.  How can I ask my kids to change theirs if I won't change mine?

Anyway, I have to give FG big kudos.  BIG ones.  He has been soooo much easier on them with his tone of voice and his approach to them.  I told him he "barks" at them a lot.  He's working on that.  I told him he's too quick to get really annoyed and on them for things and he's working on that too. I told him it seems like he just wants the kids to go away and leave him alone and (this is where I really cried) he'll get that in a few years when our son is in middle school and we "lose" him - possibly to the wrong types of kids.  So today he took DS golfing.  He planned to stay with him for the kid's lesson and their 9-hole round but was told to just pick him up in 2 1/2 hours.  A few days ago he took the training wheels and pedals off DD's bike and helped her learn to balance and steer.  Yesterday she asked for the pedals to be put back on. He immediately got a wrench and put them back on and helped her learn to ride.  Success!!!! She learned to ride!  He ran along side her, holding on a few times, taught her to brake and never let her fall so she would gain confidence.  It was awesome.

So as much as I dreaded having that chat. I think he's glad I did.  I know I am.

1 comment:

Kim said...

YEAH! I hope this is a turning point that sticks. Kudos to FG!