Berry Shortcake Cookies
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup granulated sugar
finely grated zest of one small lemon
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup fresh berries
sprinkling sugar for cookie tops
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment or use a silpat mat.
Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl (I didn't sift, I just dumped and blended with a whisk). Blend in the butter until mixture resembles fine bread crumbs. Stir in the lemon zest.
Stir in the sour cream and berries and stir until just combined. (I had strawberries that I had sprinkled sugar on the day before so they had juice in the bottom of the bowl. I ended up adding that juice to the mixture because it was dry. I guess you could use milk or buttermilk if your mixture is too dry and you don't have the berry/sugar juice). (This looked and came together like homemade biscuits. It is, afterall, essentially a biscut dough.)
Spoon 8 mounds, well apart, on prepared baking sheet (these were fairly large, you could make smaller ones that are more "cookie" size and probably bake them a bit less time). Sprinkle with sugar.
Bake 20 minutes until golden and firm in the center.
Serve warm and eat on the day of baking.
These really were like a strawberry shortcake biscuit. I have blackberries and raspberries that I want to try with them too. Cleanup was easy because I used a bowl, a whisk, a couple of measuring devices and a rubber spoonula. I make homemade biscuits a lot so it really did seem like I was baking drop biscuts but a sweet version instead of the savory ones I generally make. It was a perfect way to use up the strawberries I had in the syrup after having berries over pound cake the day before. Enjoy!
I've also been into making my own salad dressings lately. I belive I have posted the Honey Poppy Vinegarette one on here in the past but I'll be sharing the Creamy Avocado one and a yummy Lemon one soon too. Now that I've converted my closet to summer clothes, it's time to start eating more salads and less, um, Restaurant Style Smashed Potatoes. But man oh man were they good!!! FG and I enjoyed them with a london broil on the grill last night. As soon as I tasted them with the green onions (which I love) I knew the kids wouldn't eat them so they had noodles. But DS declared the london broil "seasoned and cooked to perfection". Yeah, I watch Food Network a bit. At least he ate! Anyway.... the avocado dressing is scrumptious and I'll be sharing that as soon as I can. For some reason, things have been a bit busy around here!
I've also been into making my own salad dressings lately. I belive I have posted the Honey Poppy Vinegarette one on here in the past but I'll be sharing the Creamy Avocado one and a yummy Lemon one soon too. Now that I've converted my closet to summer clothes, it's time to start eating more salads and less, um, Restaurant Style Smashed Potatoes. But man oh man were they good!!! FG and I enjoyed them with a london broil on the grill last night. As soon as I tasted them with the green onions (which I love) I knew the kids wouldn't eat them so they had noodles. But DS declared the london broil "seasoned and cooked to perfection". Yeah, I watch Food Network a bit. At least he ate! Anyway.... the avocado dressing is scrumptious and I'll be sharing that as soon as I can. For some reason, things have been a bit busy around here!

No comments:
Post a Comment