Thursday, November 05, 2009

H1N1 vaccine or "Swine Flu"

I got my kids vaccinated yesterday. I didn't wait the 6+ hours in line at the Heatlh Dept. I did a little research and called the clinic run by the nursing school at the University. They had them. I could make an appointment. It would cost me $20 each for an administration fee. Fine by me to save an entire day! Money is tight but time is money too. $40 is not going to make or break us. Two sick kids and most likely a sick Mommy would. Again, the time is money thing.

So I got my kids the nasal spray. I have had excellent luck with them staying healthy getting the live virus vaccine for the seasonal flu in the past. Even my ped told me last year that the percentage of kids coming in with flu-like illnesses was drastically different if they got the nasal vaccine vs. the shot. Basically, the live virus offered them much better protection. And I don't have to have them freaking out and hating me because they got a "poke" as DD calls them.

I know this is a controversial issue. My thought was that there is a chance, however slight, that a healthy child could die from getting the flu - seasonal or H1N1. I haven't heard of anyone dying from the vaccine. I would hate myself if I risked it. If the horrific happened to my kids because I felt they "have good immune systems" I would literally die myself. So it wasn't much of a question in my mind. As DS said yesterday, "Ha ha! I now have a force field against the H1N1 virus!"

They'll get the seasonal nasal mist in a month. There needs to be a period of time in between both nasal mists. My mom, an RN and very involved in the vaccination clinics in our town, told me that the H1N1 is hitting now anyway and the seasonal flu is due to peak later - like January. So she was relieved that I got them vaccinated in the order I did (will).

That's another thing I told her. Dad's poor health is not something I want to risk either. He's around the kids quite a bit. If he got anything from them and it would be much much harder on him than anyone else. Again, not a risk I am willing to take.

Side note, I am giddy at the fact that I don't have to leave my house today! Pathetic. But I am in my comfy clothes and happy that I have an entire day. It's "Take Dad To School Day" which also means "Dad takes DD to Kindergarten in the middle of the day!" I still got up, showered and put on make up and did my hair. I made DS's lunch, packed up his backpack, got DD ready etc. But I don't have to run out and do anything. If FG doesn't stay in DD's class the whole time, they can take the bus home. I plan to get some work done, get some more laundry done, do a few chores, make some cookies (? Maybe), and most likely make Breakfast for Dinner because we are out of waffles. (I make my own frozen waffles. I make a giant batch, wrap each one in plastic wrap and put them in a big Ziploc. I haven't bought frozen waffles in years and no one has asked for them either.) Since I didn't sleep well last night, I'm hoping for a little nap too!

1 comment:

Kim said...

Yep, no death by mist here either. :) Glad you were able to get it done without waiting forever in line. Enjoy your pj day!