Monday, November 30, 2009

ugh

I don't know if I'll have any menu this week.  I have been sick, working like crazy, cooked Thanksgiving dinner and today am trying to catch up on all the to-do stuff I missed while working and being sick.  Yesterday I didn't do anything.  Ok, one load of laundry and I re-heated Thanksgiving leftovers for dinner.  That's it.  I decided the only way to get better and be more productive was to rest rest and more rest.  So I did. :)  I'm feeling much better today except my to-do list is getting longer!

We managed to get a lot of Christmas shopping done.  We won't decorate for a few weeks though.  Because we get a live tree, we hate to put it up too early and have any more of a fire hazard that necessary.  And FG is actually considering NOT putting out lights this year because of the energy waste!  I told him we don't put enough out to really matter and we don't run them very long.  Bah humbug on him!  Now the ridiculousness that goes on down our street is a different story.  ENORMOUS waste of energy!  They adjoining street makes the news and the paper every year.  It's cool to look at but really, the entire street of Griswold's trying to outdo each other is a bit ridiculous.  Not to mention the horrible traffic.  We have such a quiet neighborhood and I love that I can send my kids out to ride their bikes without hovering.  So inviting so many people to traipse through the neighborhood makes me uneasy.  At least it's not on our street.

A HUGE deal for me this year, which is probably not helping my Christmas Spirit, we are postponing our Sweets Party.  WAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!  We simply could not pull it off this year either financially or find a day to do it!  Dec. 26 seemed odd but it was the only free Saturday.  Soooo, I decided to postpone it to Valentine's Day, well, around V-day.  So I'll still get to make sweets but I'll have to approach it very differently as far as decorating.  I'm currently taking requests from family members on what cookies/sweets they still want me to make for Christmas.  I'll still do Christmas brunch like I always do too.  My baking will just not be as manic and stressful as years past.  I just can't believe we are not having it.  Even the year I was very pregnant with DS we had a small one!  It's been 14 or 15 years (long time, can't remember exactly without looking up the old invitations).  The only year we missed completely was the year we moved into our first house on Dec. 20, 1996.  Couldn't pull it off that year either. 

Now, the laundry and house and children beckon.  If only my sinuses would tone themselves down.  The swelling is killing my head!

1 comment:

Kim said...

Good for you on the party! I think it's the PERFECT theme for a V-day party. But I completely understand how it was hard not to go through with the tradition at Christmas.