Nice playdates, that is.
I did a good thing yesterday and was fully prepared for hell. Playdates are usually not a pleasant thing around here. The last little geeky kid that came over with DS was mean to DD, rude to the rest of us and then informed me that his mother wasn't picking him up until 7 pm. This was a school night! So I got to get the kid to do his homework AND feed him dinner while he insisted that he is the guest so he can do whatever he wants. Um, no. He hasn't been back.
But DD made a little friend in her class this year. Actually, she met her the week before they started school when she did her Kindergarten evaluation. I told the teacher that she didn't know any of the kids in her class. Then, waiting outside the classroom was another little girl who the teacher told me would be in the class too. The girls met... and hugged. DD is a hugger. Some kids are not. The mom immediately (told me her life story, literally) told me that she owns a yoga studio and they are very "huggy" and she's had to work with her daughter to not just hug everyone she sees. The Mom was so happy that MY daughter is the one who initiated the hug and made HER daughter feel comfortable. The girls have been inseparable ever since.
Learning their life story (I am NOT kidding) in 10 minute increments I found out that this little girt also has a 3rd grade brother, just like my DD. Also that they are in transition of moving this weekend/week and The Mom had a final due on Monday (she's going back to school). The girls have been begging for a playdate. I told The Mom that I would try to figure out a day that worked. Last week was just nuts with everything and I apologized for mentioning it and not following through. Then I suggested Monday. She told me that would be awesome because of the moving/packing and her final. She was very sweet about it and said that if it didn't work, that was totally fine but if it did, I would be helping her tremendously. Because of their transitional move, she has to shuttle kids to & from school THREE times a day. Literally every few hours she is driving back & forth to the school. Ey yi yi.
So I made everyone happy yesterday by picking the kids up and bringing them back here for a playdate. As I mentioned in my MPM post, it was way too quiet. When I did check on them, I found the girls happily playing "house" and "store" in DD's room and the boys happily building stuff out of Hot Wheels tracks, Legos and Magnetix. Both boys love to build random stuff. The boys were who I was worried about since they had never met. They are in different classes and the other boy is quiet and shy. They got along GREAT. The girls got alone great in a setting other than school. It was literally wonderful. They were all polite (even my kids). They graciously accepted the Snickerdoodles and Kool-aid I offered. They played nicely. There were no fights, no rudeness, no tears. Well, DD got her lip banged while playing on the swing set but it was accidental and hey, that happens. Her friend was concerned about her and near tears herself watching her DD cry.
The Mom picked them up and was so thankful. She's a total kook (life story telling within 5 minutes of meeting someone=kook) but very nice and not the complete whack-job kook type.
So yes, I found out good playdates do exist! I will happily invite these children back and will do it soon.
Now to decide what to bake since the cookies were wiped out yesterday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Wow, a pleasant playdate? You got lucky!
That's wonderful and a rarity! Congrats, what did you bake!?
That sounds too good to be true. Two kids, same sex, same age AND they all get along??!?! Too bad the mom doesn't fit the bill for a perfect mommy playdate. Then I'd be TOTALLY jealous!
Glad it worked out.
Post a Comment