Thursday, April 02, 2009

Finally - the salmon burgers!

I FINALLY made them. They have been appearing on my weekly menu for months now and I just haven't gotten to them. I finally did them yesterday.
They were OK. The worst part was getting the bones out. I'm wondering if I need to try a different brand of canned salmon. But that part was kinda gross and stuff doesn't usually gross me out when it comes to cooking and food. Stick my entire arm into a turkey cavity and dig out the innards left for me, no problem, whack up a whole chicken, no problem. Take the bones and skin off a canned fish, um, ewwww.
I made them basic for the first go-round. Just salmon, bread crumbs, an egg and some seasoning. Nothing fancy. The kids actually took a few bites but didn't dig into them. I ate 95% of mine. It didn't have an overwhelming fish flavor or any overwhelming flavor at all, really. I'm not sure if I'll make them again or not but if I do, I'll steel myself to the task and maybe search some different recipes to add some flavor to them.

Side note, I am starting to hate Wednesdays. Especially when I forget to start up my PMD meds. Oy. I'm a tad overdue on them. Since I'm supposed to start them sometime mid-cycle, that would involve paying attention to when mid-cycle is. I'm excellent at knowing what's up with my body and when it's doing it's thing but have been so busy with life lately that I haven't taken notice. Whoops. I should have because I'm a few days late in starting those yummy little pills and it showed last night. My Facebook status said it all and was something about not wanting to hear the word "Mom" for at least 8 hours. 4.2 seconds after I typed that last night, I heard "Mom" at least 3 more times and a few more at 3:30 am for good measure. Just to make sure I knew my title I guess. I recall saying to one of the kids last night when I heard their bedroom door open at 9:43, "Unless you are dying, bleeding or throwing up, GO BACK TO BED!" and I heard a sweet little voice say, "I am Mom, I was just letting the cat out of my room." And whoosh! There comes the Mommy Guilt raining down on me and soaking me to the bone. Same with the 3:30ish "Moooommm. I had a bad dream. Can you come with me and make it better?" Get her all tucked back in bed (I was already grumpy because that same damn cat was sleeping on me and being an annoying HOT bed-hog, thus causing me to not sleep and no matter how many times I moved her or threw her off the bed, she still came right back to the crook of my legs) and when I start to leave the room she says, "But Mom! Wait. Can you just stay here for a little bit so I feel better?" Damn, dumped on by a bucket of Mommy Guilt again for trying to sneak out of the room and leave her to her own coping devices. She's still FOUR and yes, doesn't have all the coping skills to simply make that bad dream go away on her own. This is all after a hectic Wednesday where I have to rush around running DS and pal to Acting Class (DS got the role of Danny in Grease. I'm so proud!!!), wait for them for an hour while DD wiggles in the backseat and watches a movie, run DS's friend home and finally arrive home just after 6:30 and manage to get dinner made. Wednesdays are also "bath night" because I bathe them every other day in the winter and do so on Preschool days. Wednesdays are also the night that FG plays in a pool league with my dad and doesn't get home until after the kids are in bed and I'm usually wiped out. Thus I am not liking Wednesdays much right now. And you can bet your booty that I started taking my PMD meds this morning. Whoohoo, only a week 'til AF rears her ugly head. Lucky me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We all have those days, don't worry, as for he Salmon burgers, have you every tried the ones from Costco? You can cook them from frozen and the taste pretty good.......no bones!