Sunday, November 23, 2008

Holiday Baking #1 - Petite Cheesecakes

This was my maternal grandmother's recipe. I have it in the church cookbook from the Lutheran church my mother grew up next to and attended until she married my dad. I love the cookbook because it's got so many old treasured recipes in it. Ones that say "oleo" and aren't always the healthiest. But there are some excellent tried and true tested recipes by real women who came together over many potlucks, baby showers, picnics and birthday parties.
I make these every year for my Christmas party and I literally have to save some out or I never get any! They always go fast. The perfect little bite size cheesecake to pop in your mouth and let it melt.
* Exported from MasterCook *
Petite Cheesecakes
16 ounces cream cheese -- softened
3 egg yolk
3/4 cup sugar
3 egg white -- beaten
3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
3 tablespoons butter -- melted
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Beat cream cheese with mixer until fluffy. Add egg yolks and mix well. Add sugar. Mix until fluffy and creamy. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
Melt 3 tablespoons butter and brush mini muffin tins generously. Sprinkle with graham cracker crumbs and shake until well coated. Tap out excess.
Fill cups with cheese mixture and bake at 350 degrees for 13 - 15 minutes.
Combine sour cream, sugar and vanilla in small bowl. Pour 1/2 teaspoon into the depression of each cake after baking. Bake an additional 3-5 minutes.
Let cool slightly and remove to wire rack. Cool completely.
Store tightly covered in refrigerator with waxed paper between each layer. They may also be frozen.
Yield: "4 dozen"


EDIT: Yes, that is a mini-cupcake pan. There are 24 to a pan. I really should make these more than once per year. They would be excellent with fruit topping as well. You are right Liz, the possibilities are endless!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Is that a mini-cupcake pan?? I'm so going to make these. The possibilities are endless!! Thanks!

Katie said...

Thanks for posting this, I actually have a mini cheesecake pan. I've never used it for cheesecakes, just muffins, and I'd like to use it for it's intended purpose!