Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Cupcakes gone in a flash!

I made chocolate cupcakes for DD's preschool party last night. Um, next time I'll have to bring waaaayy more than 12 because they were gone INSTANTLY. And girls, I used a box cake mix. I generally do anyway (and I have discovered I prefer Betty Crocker over Duncan Hines - just thought I would share that). The kids just want the frosting. When I make a cake in a molded pan to decorate, that's still all people care about! If it looks fantastic, it tastes fantastic and it's one less bit of work for me!
So anyway, I was Smart Mommy yesterday and kept some at home because I just knew my kids wouldn't get to a cupcake at the party. We were like 200th in line and there were only 12 cupcakes. The first 12 people were the lucky ones. :( And us, of course, because I was Smart Mommy and kept a few safe at home. Needless to say, seeing that we were 200th in line, it was Taco Hell for dinner last night. There wasn't much food at all left by the time we were only 100th in line so we bailed. Sorry DD. She still got her cupcake. All was ok in the world.

I sort of winged it on the frosting and it turned out YUMMMMMY. Here's what I did:
1/2 cup (1 stick) softened butter
1/2 cup quality cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
estimated about 3 or so cups of powdered sugar
some whole milk - maybe 1/4 cup???
I mixed the first three up and then alternated the sugar and milk until it looked right. Then I just whipped the bejeezus out of it.
I use my Pampered Chef Easy Accent Decorator because it goes in the dishwasher because it makes them look so fancy and some little letter shaped sprinkles from William Sonoma. Viola! Instant delicious looking cupcakes that were inhaled by preschoolers and their parents.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hope you saved one for me?