Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Back in session!

Headed out the door!
School is back in session here.  Yay!  Back to school night for parents was last night.  As usual, our classrooms were packed with parents.  The school holds 2 sessions on one evening.  In our DD's 1st grade class there are 35 kids and 2 teachers.  We attended the 1st session in her class and FG counted 35 parents packed into that room.  There were more waiting to attend the 2nd session too. Which means that nearly every child's parents were there and many of them had BOTH parents attend.  Awesome.

I signed up for what I wanted to volunteer for both in each child's class and with the PTA.  I didn't do more than I wanted to do.  FG will chaperone a field trip for each kid too like he has every year. 

We had a funny moment when the 1st grade teachers were telling the parents the importance of getting the kids on a routine, having a designated place for backpacks and homework, getting enough rest and having them know where they are supposed to go.  FG gave me a look.  I chuckled quietly.  Haven't I been working on that?  I got the Command hooks for the kid's backpacks put up the other day.  The kids know what they are supposed to do and while it's only been 2 days, there was very little reminding on those days. They got off the school bus, emptied the packs, gave me important papers, put homework (yes DS had homework on the 1st day of 4th grade, no messing around!) on the counter, put lunchboxes at the sink, hung up their packs and washed their hands.  It all went smoothly. So when they were strongly suggesting these things, I had to give myself a little credit. Then again, I've been down this road before and many parents haven't.  Still, it's just in my nature too. 

The obligatory "front of the school" shot.
I am still not used to them being gone all day.  I worked on Monday, which was a good thing for me to keep my mind off the fact that I had just taken my baby to 1st grade and my son barely said goodbye as he ran off to find friends on his first day of 4th grade.  Yesterday I managed to get things caught up and today I'm headed to the Apple store for my Genuis Bar appt. then to work with FG.  I'm keeping myself busy so I don't break down and cry.  It just goes SO fast once they are in school all day!  Yes, we need this but I'm still not ready for time to just fly by either.  Happy Medium please?

DD in her bright pink skirt. I was in the hall talking to other parents and she had no idea I was still at school. I had to snap a shot of her walking into the cafeteria for their first day of school assembly.

1 comment:

Kim said...

WHEN did they get so big?!?!?! I can't believe how old they look. waaaah!

Today is our first day! Crossing my fingers it goes well.