Friday, April 23, 2010

Great book on less toxic living!

I checked out this book from the library weeks ago.  I stuck it on a shelf when people were coming over and didn't pull it back out until I realized it was due back.  Then I started thumbing through it.  I renewed it.

Better Basics for the Home by Annie Berthold-Bond.  Simple solutions for less toxic living.  It is full of recipes for various household formulas.  I plan on mixing up a batch of weed killer this weekend!  Salt, vinegar and liquid detergent.  I just have to go get some better liquid detergent.  FG and I have a huge battle of the weeds. They are out of control in our rocks.  Literally.  He will whack them down and then BURN them.  Uh, we live in the DESERT.  Burning is not a good idea!  He does it regularly and I'm just waiting for him to get in trouble.  It's such a big no-no!!!  Thankfully he's always got the hose right there but still. Dude. It just seems stupid to me!  Anyway, he doesn't like to use harsh chemicals on the weeds.  I know we could literally erradicate them in an instant but our animals and our kids play in our yard.  Do I really want that crap on their bare feet or their hands when they are exploring?  So we just live with a jungle of awful weeds.  We pull, we do use some weed killer on areas that they don't play, he burns.  Yet they seem to be always present.  I'm hoping this formula, used on the rocks will help.  Even if we do have to do it every few weeks, it's non-toxic so I don't mind. 

There's recipes for just about any & every household product in this book.  Right down to shampoo and homemade hair dye.  I plan to copy many of them and eventually buy the book.  I will draw the line at using whipped egg whites as a hair mousse though. 

I have been happily using baking soda and vinegar for a few years to clean.  Yes, I do still use the occasional Comet but most of the time, it's baking soda and vinegar.  It works well and it's super duper cheap!  I also told FG that I am switching from OxyClean to Borax after this box is gone.  I do love the way OxyClean gets out stains so well though!  Does anyone know how awful it is for the environment? I know it's derived from hydrogen peroxide but don't know how bad that or any of it's other ingredients are. 

So check out the book if you are looking for some alternatives.  I need to hit up our health food store for some items to make a salve for DS's eczema spots.  The Dr. gave us an oil that worked well and it was mostly made of peanut oil (thankfully, no allegies here!).  I'm hoping I can use the recipe in this book and make it with peanut oil and give him some relief!

1 comment:

Kim said...

Egg whites for hair mousse. That reminds me of that scene in There's Something About Mary. ICK!

The book sounds interesting. Let us know which recipes you try and like.