image from www.anonymousspace.com
I worked in DS's classroom yesterday. First I did some "busywork" stuff for the teacher like I do every other week, copies, etc. Then I worked on telling time with the kids. It's on a standardized test next week. 99% of them were very bored with it and knew how to tell time perfectly. I should hope so by this point! But I like sitting down with the kids one on one anyway, I don't care what we are doing.
But when I first arrived to school, the kids were at recess. The teacher was especially chatty, unusual for her as she's very quiet and reserved. She went on and on about how smart my son is. How he thinks on a different level and in such a different way than the rest of the class. I can't tell you how happy this made me. She told me she is really enjoying having him in her class. Again, me, beaming. He's such a quirky kid. Sensitive and extremely funny. His comedic timing has always been excellent and well beyond his young years. He's just intense sometimes and a lot to take too. His SPD can really get on a person's nerves big time. His little quirkiness can make a person pull their hair out. So I'm thankful that yet again we have a teacher who loves him and understands that he's not wiggling around the classroom to be annoying or disruptive but that's because that's who he is. She said she makes recommendations for the Gifted and Talented program because it starts in 3rd grade. When we met with the school officials at the end of 1st grade, the principal, his 1st grade teacher and the psychologist all recommended it as well based on his IQ test at the age of 4 and his current knowledge level in class. I told his current teacher that yes, we wanted to have him tested and see if he could qualify. I would love to have him surrounded by kids who think it's fun to take his "Flags of the World" place mat and his globe and match up the country with their flag, who think Time Warp, Planet Earth and How it's Made are the best shows EVER, who get excited because they are starting to learn geometry (and he's already ahead of his mommy), who have to be told repeatedly that it's time for lights out at night because they don't want to stop reading that new book Mom got them from the library (if it weren't for the library, I would be broke as I just checked out 3 new chapter books for him yesterday). We'll see what next year brings but gosh, it can sure make a mom's heart soar when someone else is marveled by your kid!

2 comments:
That is wonderful! It is nice to hear, the weirdest for me was when Stevi's teacher said, "You really don't have to come in for conference, there is nothing I can say other than she is perfect." Huh?
It is exciting to hear how smart your kid is, isn't it?
Post a Comment