Monday, August 27, 2007

New Chapter in life

I sent my son off to FIRST GRADE today. I am definitely not the first mother to write about sending her baby off to school and I won't be the last. It's just hitting me hard, as I'm sure it hits many parents hard. This is just a whole new chapter in life. School. Sure, he went to school last year but we all know Kindergarten is still for little kids and half playing. It's not serious school. This is serious. This is him being gone all day long, at school, under someone else's watch and on his own to make choices and decisions that I won't be there to guide. God I hope I did a good job teaching him up until now! I hope I gave him tools and skills to make good choices and decisions and face this big new world on his own. Yeah, I know, he's not moving out - yet. But I know that's right around the corner too. With him being gone all day it's only going to go faster, even though today is going excruiciatingly slow.
His sister did the crying for us. She wanted to go with him into his classroom. She wanted to sit in a chair beside her big brother and listen to the teacher. She wanted her best friend in the whole world to be with her and not off at some big school with other kids. He was brave, helped his little friend who was scared. By the time the parents left, he had his friend smiling and happy. That warmed my heart up and told me that he would indeed be just fine. Me on the other hand.... I'm futzing around on the computer watching the clock. Lily is glued to the TV. We are both kind of at a loss without our little guy here to talk my ear off, ask me a zillion inane questions that I can't answer and pick on/play with his sister. I think we are both anxiously awaiting 2:30 when we will head back to the school and wait for him to walk out the doors, tired, no doubt hungry because he didn't have mom there to keep on him about eating and he didn't eat fast enough before lunch was over, and a bit dismayed by the whole day too. We'll all be fine but I just wish that this chaper would have taken a bit longer to arrive.

Tomorrow..... the BUS!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

ACK! THE BUS?! Wow... I'm so not looking forward to these days. I can't imagine how scary it is for your little birdie to leave the nest... so to speak. Let me know how it went!

A Mom Anonymous said...

The bus was actually great - until I found out they were late every day getting to school, go on 395 N..... so here I am, back to driving him until they get the kinks worked out. It was a nice few days of walking down the street though.