Tuesday, March 27, 2012

One of those, "Doh! Why didn't I think of this years ago?!" ideas

I've said it before - I like to do laundry.  It is my favorite chore.  In the summer I love hanging all of my clothes on the clothesline.  Living in the driest climate ever and we generally have a breeze (gale force winds more likely) my clothes dry super fast.  In fact, in the summer I can get my weeks worth of laundry done in a couple of hours. 

In cooler months I still like to do laundry in as little time as possible.  It takes longer because I have less drying space and clothes take longer to dry not in the warm sunshine & wind.  I have always used a drying rack.  It could be 3x the size it is for what I hang dry.  Until I figured something out....

A few months ago I bought the kids all new hangers.  Their clothes were getting too big for the kid-size hangers and falling off constantly. It was an annoying battle every laundry day when I took their baskets of clean clothes to their rooms and attempted to neatly hang their shirts.  When I got them new hangers I got them different colors because they were with  me and wanted it that way.  Fine, whatever.

THEN I realized a short while after this purchase that I was using various random hangers in the laundry room to hang up some clothes (because the drying rack simply wasn't big enough!).  Then I would take the dry clothes off those hangers, put them in a basket and re-hang them in the kids closets.  Here is my Ah-ha (you idiot!) moment!  Why am I transferring hangers?! 

Now each week when I empty their laundry hampers I also take all their empty hangers to the laundry room.  As I take their clothes from the dryer to hang dry after their initial "fluff", I simply hang up each child's clothes on their own respective hanger color.  Then when I take the dry clothes upstairs to fold & put away (or leave for them to put away), their shirts/dresses are already on the hangers, ready to be put directly into the closet. 

This simply system has cut down on laundry time or at least on my least favorite part which is putting the clothes away. 

Add that to the weekly hanging shelves for daily outfits and my time spent with children's clothes is about 1/3 of what is used to be. 

Kid-you-not every week when I do laundry I ask myself why the hell it took me so long to figure this simple thing out. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our houses are old out here. Mine is close to 80 years old, so the closets are old timey and ridiculously small. I do laundry in the basement and am lucky if the stuff makes it upstairs to be put away. Im envious of your efficiency.

Unknown said...

Thats why I do one load a day....and my new house has a clothes line!!!!! I am so excited!