Friday, August 26, 2011

Truth is, you can go home again

Either that or time travel really does exist. 

Long long ago in a place, well right here, I worked in the advertising business.  I spent a shit-load of money and got spoiled like crazy.  I literally was wined and dined and I put out - the ad budgets of my clients. I worked a super small agency, a long standing large agency and a long standing even larger agency before I left it all for the glamor of being a SAHM.

Now with my "new" job (I've passed the 6 mo. mark, it doesn't feel so new anymore as I get frustrated and really enjoy my days off and some of the excitement has definitely worn off), I'm back in the game.  It really is all a game.  Now I'm not in the large fancy-schmancy agency with the staff and memos and lunch brought in for meetings regularly, but I don't have quite as much pressure as I used to.  I really like the fact I can come & go and my boss trusts that I will get it done.  She keeps giving me more & more to do and I keep getting it done so obviously I can handle it. 

Last night was a local TV station event to showcase their new fall lineup of programming.  Because one of the businesses I market is a chocolate store where we make everything possible out of chocolate, I called up my old sales rep and offered to do a little trade.  I was thinking holiday client gifts but they wanted give-aways for their premier party.  So I went to the party to network and be proud of the fact we re-created their logo in chocolate for each guest to take home.  They looked great, if I do say so myself.  And yes, I helped design them and made our kitchen staff re-do several of them because they were not perfect enough for me.

I wasn't nervous to go to the party.  I had been to plenty of them in the past.  Sure it had been over 10 years and the last one I attended I had a big round belly to show off and I couldn't drink wine (lots of drinks flow at these things).  My boss planned to go with me but as I figured, when it came down to it, she forgot and couldn't make it.  Bummer for me because I figured she could learn a thing or two about who she's not paying enough to do all that I do and have the knowledge I have.  Not trying to toot my own horn but yeah, she's got it good with me sitting in the next office.  (I have it good with my loose schedule and the fact I do something from home, keep track of the hours and she never questions it).

I walked through the doors of the museum and stepped into a time machine.  My old reps were there, my former boss was there, various colleagues I had attended what felt like a gazilion similar events were there.  I got a lot of "Oh my gosh!  It's great to see you!  What are you doing now?"  and I got several quizical looks with the "I'm so sorry, I KNOW that I know you but I can't place..."  until I said my name and they went "Oh my God! " after I barely got out my first name.  Then there was always a memory or story brought out, "Do you remember....".  EVERY SINGLE PERSON there was around when I was in the business 10 1/2 years ago.  It was freaky.

When I left advertising I said I would never be back.  Sort of like a teenager leaving home but they always come back around, don't they?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just finished watching Hot Tub Time Machine, so this post made me laugh out loud. Life really does go full circle :)

I'm glad you're well.

Kim said...

YEah! GOod for you. Sounds like you're doing so well. I'm so happy for you, Amy!