Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Super cheap-o dinners

Last night I roasted a whole chicken.  I have to say I went old school and did not waste a thing with this chicken either.  I paid $3.58 for it. (I picked up three whole chickens on sale last week at $.77/lb).
This is what I got out of it. I even fed the dog.
  • Cooked the giblets for the dog's dinner
  • Family had 2/3 of the chicken for dinner.
  • Used a small portion of leftover meat and mixed it with the rice pilaf we had as a side dish - that will be FG's lunch tomorrow.
  • Saved the rest of the meat for another family meal - maybe enchiladas or pot pies?
  • Simmered the carcass for a few hours for stock.
I am not sure how much stock I got yet because it was late so I just put the whole pan in the fridge to deal with this afternoon.  I'm guessing 1 1/2 quarts.

Not bad for one $3.58 chicken!

No comments: