Wednesday, May 19, 2010

This is where we kick it into high gear

I think the end of the school year is designed to make all kids, teachers and parents really really wish for summer vacation.  Wow.  It has been crazy with all the stuff going on!  I found out who DD's teacher will be next year.  It will be our first experience with a large class and team teachers.  She can handle it, which is why her K teacher feels that will be the best place for her.  DS's 1st grade teacher is retiring (sniff!) but these two women are, as with 99% of the teachers at our school, wonderful.  DD will be with her BFF from K and her BFF from preschool.  She's happy.  She's independent enough and mature enough that she can handle things on her own. Even though the ratio works out to be the same as with a single teacher class, that's still a lot of kids in one room.  DS will most likely get separated from his BFF, which as of late, I'm all for.  He's wild and makes poor choices and is entirely too inappropriate most of the time.  It sort of surprises me that his parents - both very educated people working in schools as one is a middle school/former HS science teacher and the other is a middle school/high school psychologist - do not correct him with his foul language or disgusting jokes.  (Found out last night that DS now knows what sex is, thanks to Carl.)  Anyway, if they want to be friends on the playground or get together sometimes, that's ok but as far as serious, down-to-business school goes, I think it will be better if they are separated. 
So the end of the year is approaching.  We have about 3 weeks total left.  DD did her very last K homework packet where she did double digit math and read a book to me that she had never seen before.  She sounded out the words and read the whole thing.  She has come a long way! And she's still only 5.  One of the youngest in her class.  I do not regret not waiting.  Socially, she is more mature than many of her classmates and academically, she is ahead of a lot of them.  *Proud Mama!*  Even DS's homework has been very very light.  Which is good because we're pretty much in Summer Vacation Mode around here....

Remember when I whined about friends? I won't even link to how many times I've stated my pet peeve of changing things that bother me and how I hate it when people don't even try.  So yeah, I went and did something about it.  FG and I let go of the fact that the backyard has some weeds in the landscaping and the carpet should be replaced inside.  We LET. IT. GO.  Last summer we didn't have one single BBQ or friend over with the exception of SMA and he doesn't count.  This school year I made a conscious attempt to have more of the kid's friends over.  So we've been doing the playdate thing.  In that, we've found some good friends.  We've been getting together as families and it's working out well.  Last Friday at our impromptu delivery pizza dinner one of the women/moms said, "The more I get to know you, the more I like you.  I knew you were going to be in my life for a reason."  cue the warm fuzzies because seriously, who wouldn't like to hear that about themselves? 

This is how our things have been the past week....
Last Thursday - brought kids home from school for a playdate.  The mom (same one mentioned above) stayed for 1 1/2 hours chatting with FG and I.  She didn't leave until 7 pm and everything was thrown off for the night - dinner, bedtime etc.
Friday - same woman sends me a text just when I'm headed, literally walking to, the Redbox. "Pizza & beer tonight?"  Thus I backed away from the Redbox and it turned into an impromptu gathering with two other families.
Saturday - I worked all day (normally my Sat. off).  Got off at 4:15, had to be at a college graduation party by 5. In bed after midnight.
Sunday - send the kids off to church with my parents & get ready for friends and their kids to come to dinner that night. In bed after midnight again.
Monday - former neighbors are in town from Hawaii. They are like grandparents to my kids.  We have them over to dinner and invite my parents and another couple.  They stay late because we only see them once a year!  In bed well after midnight again.
Tuesday - work in DD's K classroom making graduation hats (sniff sniff!). Bring kids home, pass FG in the garage & go to work.  Come home from work and there's a group of guys here for poker (I knew he was doing it but I wouldn't have really cared if I didn't know).  Finally everyone leaves and FG and I watch Lost in bed. I fall asleep around 11:30 and miss the end. Hey, at least I was asleep before midnight!
Today/Wednesday - taping our show from our local ballpark.  Should be fun, just a lot of extra work.  Working tonight and then the kids need showers (they have been taking them at totally odd times due to our crazy social schedule!).
Tomorrow/Thursday - meeting a friend for lunch or tea in the afternoon.  Whew. I think that's it!
Friday - 1/2 day of school and it's Volunteer Appreciation that the teachers throw for us who work for them all year.  Then there's a book signing event at work that I plan to take the kids to and get the book for their teachers.  FG is playing poker at an event.
Saturday - work again then COLLAPSE.

Sooooo, you see I remedied the "woe is me, we have no friends" by being a bit less uptight and a bit more outgoing.  Ahhhh. I gotta tell ya, as tired as I am, it feels goooooood!  Also, no new recipes still.  I've been sticking to what I know well given the frequency and chaos. 

No comments: