Sorry it's been a whole week. Oh well. I doubt you have missed me much!
Last week's menu was fairly on. The kids did end up having a sleepover on Friday at their friend's house. They had a blast and did well. I ended up working for a few hours that night but it worked out well because FG and I dropped them off, he dropped me off at work and then picked me up a few hours later. We met friends out and had a great evening. I worked the next day and the kids were dropped off at home with FG while I was still at work. We DID get take out pizza on Sat. too. We ended up spending about 1/2 of what we budgeted for Friday's evening out so when I went to make the Alfredo Chicken, FG and I both agreed it didn't sound that great. So we tried Domino's "new" pizza. It was ok, better than before that's for sure. The price was right though!
This week is dreary and cold and we're expecting back to back storms with rain & snow. ugh.
- Sunday - Potato Leek Soup*, roasted BBQ chicken leg quarters**, scalloped corn, roasted asparagus, butterscotch-oatmeal cookies
- Monday - Alfredo Chicken & broccoli over noodles
- Tuesday - BBQ Pork Ribs***, cabbage slaw salad, french fries
- Wednesday - I work, FG & the kids get leftovers
- Thursday - Pork chops, potato pancakes, veggies
- Friday - My 39th Birthday! Out with friends!
- Saturday - Not sure. I want to have people over this coming weekend but don't know who yet, which day or what I'm going to make.
*Potato Leek Soup
4 medium to large russet potatoes
4 cups chicken broth
6 slices of bacon, cut into 1" pieces
3 leeks
1 - 1/2 cups half & half or milk
salt & pepper to taste
shredded cheddar cheese
Peel & cube potatoes.
In large stock pot, pour chicken broth and add cubed potatoes. Cook until potatoes are tender
In saute pan, fry bacon pieces.
Remove bacon from pan, drain grease reserving a few tablespoons.
While other ingredients are cooking, slice white parts of the leeks and wash in bowl of water (I swirled them around in the bowl of cold water and then let them sit so the grit would fall to the bottom. Then I scooped them out carefully and drained them on a paper towel.)
Puree the potatoes & broth with a hand blender or in batches in food processor (I have comandeered my mother's hand blender and use it often now!)
Add the fried bacon pieces to potato/broth puree.
In the reserved bacon grease, saute the leeks for about 10 minutes until tender.
Add half & half to potato/broth puree.
When leeks are cooked, add to the soup.
I also added a bit of salt & pepper.
Sprinkle with shredded cheese when serving. It would be good with a dollop of sour cream too.
My bargains this week: **Chicken leg quarters for $.59/lb in a 10 lb bag. I am not a dark meat fan but FG, SMA and DS are. DD and I prefer white meat. But it was too good of a deal to pass up! ***Also, yes, we are having BBQ pork ribs again this week. When I went to the store to buy the chicken, they had the pork ribs for $.99/lb. I got a giant package for $6 which is easily 2 meals for the 4 of us once I cut them up. They aren't as good cooked in the oven as on the grill but everyone still likes them and eats them up. The asparagus I bought along with the chicken & ribs was $1.69/lb. For this time of year, that's pretty cheap. So my bill at the grocery store buying those loss-leader items only was just over $13. whoohoo! The meat alone is 4 meals of chicken and 2 meals of ribs. No, it's not organic but we just can't afford that yet. Someday, someday. Until then I'll keep avoiding over-processed foods, HFCS and as many food dye's as I can.


1 comment:
Great plan! I'm right there with you with not being able to afford organic yet! Happy Birthday!
Post a Comment